Friday, May 11, 2007

Don't Block My Flow?

I've passed this billboard more than a hundred times, but it was only yesterday morning that I did a double take and noticed how bizarre it actually was, just noticing it for the first time.



The intentionally disgusting ambiguity of the "Don't Block My Flow statement haunts me like ghost (how many things could that mean?). Coupled with the confusing "reverend sister" designation which, I assume, is a female minister squabbled about in the "baby daddy" fashion of sloppy nicknames, this is a movement I feel passionate about publicly descrying. I am only too fortunate to find that the actual event is just as bizarre as the billboard suggests it may be.

If you check out the website (don't forget to look at the website title in the browser to see how they misspelled "reverend):

http://www.womenofexcellenceministries.org



I think you'll find the site is equally, if not more perplexing than the billboard itself. Though the deduction may be made from the signage, this event targets:



  • women
  • Christian women
  • black Christian women
  • angry black Christian women
  • angry black Christian women who don't want you to block their flow
  • angry black Christian women who don't want you to block their flow and are possibly interested in purging their angry black Christian aggression by adorning boxing gloves and beating the crap out of one another


The three-day conference will be highlighted with keynote speeches by all the "reverend sisters," from Prophetess Jacquelin Johnson to Apostle LD Scott.

Go to the website today to register (registration is free).

One more thing, don't forget the finale of the weekend, The Sista's Do's & Dont's Fashion Show.

Seriously.


3 comments:

Amy Butler said...

I'm very confused. I thought they were some anti-tampon group. And the boxing outfits... I'm just so blown away by the bizarreness of this billboard! What a great find.

Jason said...

Drew, i am almost speechless. this is beautiful. It's almost too good to be true. I'm experiencing the same sensation that I had when i found out Hasselhoff would be judging "America's Got Talent."

I trust Doctor Mister A Allen will be busting some flow with "The Praise Dancers of Longview?"

DREW! said...

Well, I feel I'm simply carrying out my duty as a responsible civic-minded citizen.

I call out BS where I find it. And there was a lot of it here.

To quote Jeff Goldbloom's character, Dr. Ian Malcom, in Jurassic Park, "That is one big pile of s***."