Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Ghost of Blogs Past

I won't go into undue detail about how I stumbled across this, because I definitely didn't remember it of my own accord...

Okay, I will go into undue detail:

It was 12:30 PM on Thursday afternoon. My mind was reeling; I wanted to go get some coffee when I got a text message from Charlotte saying that our electric bill was $5 less than it was last month. Let the good times roll.

I had checked the local weather; 83 degrees outside. I thought to myself, is that it? I remembered going to lunch earlier and I guess it did seem a little mild.

My mind scanned back in its files to query keywords "mild" and "weather" when I got a hit: the King of the Hill episode in which Nancy has her weatherperson duties usurped by Irv Bennett (voiced by Brendan Fraser), an actual meteorologist, because--as the news director points out--"turns out people actually care about accurate weather." Hank, after watching an accurately predicted forecast, comments: "I wasn't sure what mild weather was, but I'll be danged if this weather doesn't feel mild!"

Mild, like a coffee roast.

I remembered I had yet to realize my earlier dream of actually getting some coffee. Suddenly I thought of just two days prior being at the Silverthornes' where Dre and Bryan introduced me to the Starbucks Costa Rica TarrazĂș blend, how much I loved it, and how improbable attaining a cup of said blend would be at a local Starbucks. I'm not sure it's a mild blend, but definitely not bold. A quick Google search bolstered my palette's confidence--it's medium.

I thought, I'm bored; I could blog about this. Then I wondered if Bryan would mind me blogging about something he introduced me to. Then I thought, Bryan used to have a blog.

At that moment I had invoked the spirit of Deirdo Speakish. I typed in the address, deirdospeakish.blogspot.com, to my great relief it had not been deleted.

I spent my time scrolling back through posts and comments. It was like a blog ghost town: virtually all of the embedded photos where no longer hosted, the URL's were all broken, and the blog template was quite different than I remembered. Still, it still took me back to the golden year of blogging: 2004.

Now to the point of this post:

  1. I came across Bryan's post, Chiiillllll my Ba..bies.....
  2. I read Bryan's comment in response to Jeremy's, Amy's, Dre's, Brascoe the Liberty Bear's, and my comments.
  3. I thought, for the love of God, we need to follow through on Bryan's suggestion. It's likely if I had not taken this stroll down bloggery lane, it may have escaped unremembered.
  4. That is all.
  5. Oh yeah. Speakish needs to be resurrected.

5 comments:

DREW! said...

Believe it or not, I just read Dre's comment nominating Jeremy to be "the one who remembers." Very sorry Jeremy if you were going to pull this out of your sleeve next year and surprise us all. Regrettable, that.

bsilverthorne said...

Impeccable timing good Lad. Only six days ago had I logged in to the old blog. I was inclined then to give the jolly clunker a might swift thump on the ear as to evoke a resounding throng, and awaken her dusty bits and bytes. The Black Death has nearly cleared from these parts and it may be time rejoin the rest of ye technocratic civilians in this here blogosphere. Thank you for your interest and positive affirmations. We shall see what truly motivates all the kings horses and all the kings men.

DREW! said...

Proverbially, please to be shaking the dew off the lily.

Jeremy said...

Man, I was all over this, and I'd actually considered making a post with a link back to Bryan's once they announced the date. So, thunder effectively stolen. Anyhow, chances are pretty good we'll be living in Texas again by the time this changing of the guard takes place, so I suggest we all watch it at our house.

Further, I see you've been double posting these entries on Facebook. Any way the comments from Facebook can show up here? Consolidation is keen.

Silverthornes said...

Just for the record...here are the comments from facebook on this matter. I didn't know of a way to merge them so the old copy/paste seems to always work:

Andrea Silverthorne wrote
at 2:58pm on May 29th, 2008
I totally agree. Thank you for bringing this post back from the grave. I too did not remember this post until I read it. Anyway, I just typed in "Chiiilllll my Ba..bies..... post update on deirdo speakish blog" on our GCal for September 28, 2009 so this post will definitely not be overlooked exactly 5 years from the date posted even if I must resurrect the blog myself!
Delete

Drew Allen wrote
at 3:03pm on May 29th, 2008
Nice. I can't find a specific date for when the Conan takeover will occur. Would it be September 2009 or earlier? Anyway, I will quote Bryan in his comment:

"Thank you in advance to the one of us that makes this dream a reality. God Bless."

Sweet.

(Believe it or not, I never read the bit about you nominating Jeremy to be "the one who remembers" until just now, so I must apologize to Jeremy if I stole his thunder....but I probably won't apologize.)

Andrea Silverthorne wrote
at 3:22pm on May 29th, 2008
Everything I have read just says Conan will take over in 2009. I haven't seen a date just yet - I think this "handing of the torch" (if you will) is going to be an interesting one for sure. Here is a man's comment on one of the sights I read:
"With no dis-respect to Conan, he simply has not shown the right style for the Tonight Show. I suppose that NBC is committed to this move for now, but I hope that if Conan fails to maintain the strength of the show that Carson, Leno, and Parr have established, that NBC could be open to bringing back Leno after a 6 month leave, and then interweave Leno with potential future hosts to find the right one."